Is Music Education as Important as Academics for Kids?
It underscores the importance of nurturing a child’s overall development, including social, emotional, and practical life skills, in addition to academic knowledge.
Music education is often treated as an extracurricular activity or afterthought in many schools today. With increased focus on standardized testing and core academic subjects like math, science, and reading, music and art programs are usually the first to get cut when budgets are tight. However, many experts argue that music education is as critical for a child’s development as traditional academic subjects.
Benefits of Music Education
- Music education fosters creativity, builds self-confidence, and develops essential problem-solving and innovation skills that prepare students for academic and career success.
- The discipline of regular musical practice and determination to improve teaches a strong work ethic and resilience, helping students overcome academic challenges.
- Understanding musical rhythms and ratios reinforces fractions and other mathematical concepts, directly supporting STEM learning.
- Reading and interpreting musical notation promotes literacy skills by strengthening reading comprehension abilities.
- Analyzing complex musical patterns and sequences involves logical thinking and develops analytical skills that improve academic performance.
- Participating in group musical performances teaches vital interpersonal skills like teamwork, collaboration, and respect for others.
- Music provides an outlet for healthy self-expression and emotional management.
- Music facilitates brain connectivity between the left and right hemispheres, boosting memory, reasoning, literacy, and emotional intelligence.
- Playing a musical instrument offers an emotional and mental outlet to positively channel stress, anxiety, or frustration.
Social and Interpersonal Benefits
The social benefits of music education are also immeasurable. Being part of a band, orchestra, choir, or rock group teaches vital interpersonal skills. Kids learn to collaborate, communicate, compromise, and connect with their peers through musical ensembles. Performing together promotes teamwork and inclusiveness. Music education can also boost self-confidence and provide a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Importance of Access to Music Education
- Music education holds immense intellectual, emotional, and social benefits for children, making it as crucial as math, science, or English.
- Despite its importance, some school districts undervalue music, considering it disposable instead of essential.
- Numerous studies show music involvement enhances academic performance, boosts IQs, and fosters emotional maturity in children.
- Parents can ensure their kids reap music education benefits by providing home-based lessons and instrument access.
- Basic piano or guitar lessons from family or friends can significantly impact a child’s development.
- Other excellent extracurricular options include community music schools, youth orchestras, church choirs, and online music lessons.
Online Music Education Options
Programs like Younker offer full online music instruction for kids and adults. The curriculum covers reading music, techniques for various instruments like piano and guitar, music theory, and ear training. With engaging video lessons, supplemental worksheets, and games, online music classes can fill the void of music education when it’s missing from traditional schooling. They also allow students to learn at their own pace and schedule.
While traditional academic subjects certainly play a major role in a child’s education, minimizing or ignoring the value of music education from the best online music classes would be a mistake. The truth is that music cultivates important qualities like creativity, intelligence, teamwork, self-confidence, and empathy. Making music should never be considered optional or disposable. All kids deserve access to quality music education to become well-rounded learners and set themselves up for overall success in school and life.